If you want to take care of your dog’s skin and coat, introducing a diet with fish oil is an easy and inexpensive way to do it. Fish oil contains omega-3, and essential fatty acid not found naturally in a dog’s body. Not only does it promote the health of the dog’s coat and skin, it can also be used to treat a number of skin allergies and help prevent kidney and heart diseases. The best sources of fish oil are oily fishes, no surprise there. Anchovies, trout, sardines and mackerels are just some oily fishes that can be used in place of a fish oil supplement as a source of omega-3. It is not recommended you feed fish on its own to your dog because it might not be well received. Instead, make a dog food yourself using fish oil as an ingredient.
Here’s what you need:
1 lb ground beef
½ lb chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
2/3 cup oats
15 oz chickpeas (use kidney beans or black beans as substitute)
½ cup shredded carrots (pumpkin can be used as substitute)
½ teaspoon of minced garlic
½ cup fish oil or ½ lb of any oily fish (steamed to bring out the oil)
½ cup cottage cheese or yoghurt
Here’s what you do:
• Boil the chicken in a large pot using only enough water to barely cover the meat. After the water has boiled, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and leave it to simmer for 40 minutes. Take out the chicken and let it cool before chopping. Strain the liquid and set it aside, you will use it to cook the rice.
• Using the chicken broth, boil the rice then reduce the heat to medium low until the rice is fully cooked and tender. To make the perfect boiled rice, the ratio of liquid to rice should be 1:1. If the broth barely makes half a cup, just add water. Put the rice together with the chopped chicken in a bowl.
• Stir fry the ground beef until crumbly and brown. Drain any excess grease and add it to the rice and chicken.
• Toss in the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix thoroughly.
• If you’re using fish instead of fish oil, chop it before mixing it in.